Chris Shelton Elected President of CWA
- Published: Thursday, 11 June 2015 22:13
Christopher Shelton was elected the new president of the Communications Workers of America by acclamation of delegates to the union’s 75th convention.
He succeeds Larry Cohen who stepped down after serving as president for ten years and spending 39 years organizing and working in CWA.
Since 2005, Shelton has served as vice president of CWA District 1, representing more than 160,000 members in New Jersey, New York and New England.
Sara Steffens, who had been serving as secretary-treasurer of the Newsguild-CWA, was elected CWA secretary-treasurer.
Lisa Bolton, president of CWA Local 7777, was elected vice president of the Telecommunications and Technology sector; Brooks Sunkett was re-elected vice president of the Public, Health Care and Education Workers sector; and four at-large diversity members of the Executive Board were elected: Carolyn Wade, president of CWA Local 1040, was re-elected for the Northeast region; Vera Mikell, executive vice president of CWA Local 2205, Southeast region; Anetra Session, president, CWA Local 6327; Central region, and Frank Arce, executive vice president, CWA Local 9400, Western region.
In election results for District Vice Presidents:
- In District 1 (New Jersey, New York and New England), Dennis Trainor, assistant to the vice president, was elected.
- In District 2-13 (mid-Atlantic), District 4 (Midwest) and District 6 (Southwest), delegates re-elected Vice Presidents Ed Mooney, Linda Hinton and Claude Cummings.
- In District 3 (Southeast), Richard Honeycutt, president, CWA Local 3605, was elected.
- In District 7 (Plains, Mountain states and Northwest), Brenda Roberts, assistant to the vice president, was elected.
- In District 9 (California, Nevada and Hawaii), Tom Runnion, District 9 staff, was elected.